A day in the life...

Today was a canine-chasee, back-smacking, ear-biting, hair-pulling, chain-breaking, spit-up kind of day...

Here is the short version:

Monkey and I had our hearts jump started this morning when we came upon a dog that was diligently defending his territory. I don't do well with barking dogs, but lucky for all involved he wasn't too aggressive, finally backed off and he didn't manage to ruin the rest of our walk...

Julien is away this weekend and Chris is on call, so when lunch time came around, Monkey and I were home alone. I made a simple lunch of black beans and rice, black olives and shredded cheese. Monkey has eaten this at least a hundred times before. I can't tell you what happened, but the next thing I knew Monkey was choking. I don't mean the average "she just got choked", I mean, full blown clogged airway! I am a very controlled person in traumatic situations and when I realized that a little pat on the back wasn't going to work this time, I grabbed her under the arm with one hand as I was unbuckling her with the other. I immediately threw her over my arm and delivered the "firm" blows to her back. I looked down at her and bless her heart, she was terrified, tears streaming down her face and unable to make a sound. As I continued hitting her firmly on the back, my mind starting racing. I mentally back tracked to where I last had the telephone. I knew that it was all the way upstairs in the hallway outside of Monkey's room. I knew that if I had to call 911, I would waste a lot of time going after the phone. In the same moment, I was thinking that I didn't want to hurt her little back, but I had to get her airway clear. Just as I am about to make a dash for the phone, I delivered the last smack to her little back and out it (all) came. Chris and I know to be on extra guard with Monkey when she eats because her little mouth and throat are so small, this was just the first time (and hopefully last) that we really encountered a true emergency. Poor Monkey was just terrified and shaking after it was all over with.

This afternoon we attended a fantastic birthday party (details and pictures later). At the end of the party, we decided to get a picture with Monkey and her friend. As you all know, Monkey loves to give lovins' and was leaning over to her friend. Her friend got a little carried away and put Monkey in a head lock, while pulling her hair and biting her ear. O-U-C-H!
Monkey didn't cry, but has some battle scars. It was just an accident and very age appropriate!!!!

After the birthday party, came the Super Bowl party. Monkey and I left early so that we could make the drive home and get Monkey to bed at a decent time. Monkey got bath baby and we went to take a bath. I think Monkey was just really tired, because she got upset when I was getting her ready for her bath, tried to hold onto my shirt and accidentally ripped my necklace off (the brand new one from Chris). I watched it fall into the bath water and had to chuckle. Go figure, right? Of course.

After bath, I wrapped Monkey and baby snuggly in a towel, took them to the changing table and dried them both off. I put Monkey's diaper on and got baby some new clothes to put on. I grabbed Monkey's pajamas and we walked downstairs. As soon as we got to the bottom of the stairs, Monkey spit up all over clean baby, clean baby's clean clothes, clean Monkey and clean Monkey's clothes. Inhale. We go to the kitchen, wash baby and wrap her snuggly in a dish towel. Back up the stairs we go to clean Monkey and to retrieve fresh pajamas. Back downstairs we go just in time to catch the last of the Super Bowl and see the Steelers' victory!

Ah, just another day. It's a very good thing I can find humor in this...

Celebrating Nine Years!

My sweet girl had a very busy day! We spent the day by having lunch at one of Addie's favorite restaurants, then I took her s...