Clearing up the confusion

It has been a week of battling ignorance, so I feel the need to clear up any confusion. This post came out of a conversation with a friend, nothing that was said directly to me.

Not many people are blessed with having a special needs child. Just like the parents of typical children, you have good parents and those that leave a lot to be desired. Granted Chris and I have different battles that we have to fight, but we don't think our path is that much different from other parents. We don't feel like we are being punished for anything, we don't feel like we "got the short end of the deal" and we certainly wouldn't "trade Addie for any other child". We find having a special needs child is a blessing. I cannot tell you the things I have learned and the experiences that I am grateful for having. We don't feel burdened by Addie and we are in no way embarrassed by her. When we think of the future, we know it is possible that Addie will be with us for the rest of our lives, but that doesn't bother us. It is not an inconvenience, it is a joy. We don't feel Addie is any less intelligent than any other child; she just has to work harder to learn things than other children. I think what other parents take for granted, we don't. I don't take Julien for granted, not even for a second. He is an amazingly intelligent, healthy child and I thank God for that every day. I realize that nothing is a guarantee and this life that I think is perfect, is not guaranteed past the moment that I type these words. I am grateful for my children, BOTH of them. One that will never struggle and one that will. I am grateful that I never knew Addie in any other capacity, I only know her for who she truly is. For those of you who might find "joy" in the path that Chris and I are on, I find joy in knowing that God knows your thoughts and your actions. I wish you only knew how proud we are that we were chosen for this path. We would do it all over again. Addie is a Godsend and a child who was sent here to bring joy to others and to teach others. If you have a problem with that, I really hate it for you - remember your perfect life is not a guarantee either. Addie is perfect and an angel from God.


I will proclaim the name of the LORD. Oh, praise the greatness of our God! He is the Rock, his works are perfect and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he.
Deuteronomy 32:3-4

Celebrating Nine Years!

My sweet girl had a very busy day! We spent the day by having lunch at one of Addie's favorite restaurants, then I took her s...