Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Surgery Day

Addie had a remarkably good day - all things considered. 
Her surgery room was nice and peaceful and she was mostly at ease except for the yucky frog photo hanging on the wall. 

Addie only cried once the entire day, and that was when the nurse took her pulse ox and blood pressure. 
When I asked which baby was going to make the trip with her to the hospital, she gave it some thought and then chose her New York Baby.
I searched through the babies closet and found a hospital gown and got her all ready to go, including her own bag with a change of clothes and extra blanket.
Her baby was by her side all day.
The extra hugs from her baby kept Addie calm - making my efforts all worth it. 

We had a four hour wait, which gave us lots of snuggle time. 

She even got brave enough to get up and wander around the room
and she even went to get her sweater all by herself. 

I managed to get her changed without incident and the nurse even brought her an iPad to use while waiting. 

Addie could see all the patients coming and going by her room, and as long as I talked her through each question, she was calm.
She had LOTS of questions!

Chris was put in charge of finding a balloon from the gift shop and he did a perfect job!
It made Addie so happy to see it when she got back to the room. 
She pointed at Olaf as if to ask if it was hers.
When he told her that she got to keep him, she nodded and wanted to hold him (Olaf, not her Daddy).

Her surgery went very well!
We knew the doctor planned on replacing both tubes - yet again - but we didn't know that Addie had a pretty bad infection - in both ears.
The doctor was able to remove all the infected tissue and replace the tubes without us having to come back for another surgery. 

Also, after months of consideration, we also decided to proceed with an otoplasty. 
I'm just thankful that it's over and Chris and I are at peace with our decision.

Addie received rave reviews from the recovery room nurses for being so sweet!
They said that she said, "please", "thank you" and "ma'am" the entire time they were with her. 
So proud of my baby for remembering her manners during a very stressful time!

When she got back to the room, she remained very calm - with her biggest concern being the IV in her hand. 

Our ride home started out good until - despite the best efforts of the anesthesiologists - Addie started getting sick. 
Even through it all, she was calm and sweet. 

---Addie wanted to know where Olaf was so I told her I would show her...
I love that sweet smile even though she was miserable!

I honestly can't begin to say how proud I am of Addie for being so brave and for being so sweet.
The decision to proceed with the surgery was very stressful.

We are heading back to the doctor this morning for a dressing change and to make sure my beautiful girl is doing well.

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes!


Edie said...

Glad to hear the good news!

Katherine Pitts said...

Bless her sweet heart! Feel better soon Addie!!

Cindy said...

So glad everything went well! Hope her recovery is quick and she's up and around soon.