The Arc of Shelby County

Today we completed Addie’s evaluation with The Arc of Shelby County. This agency will go to Addie’s daycare and provide occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy services at no charge to us, due in part from funding by The United Way (I never imagined all those payroll deductions would one day benefit my family). These services are in addition to the services that Addie receives at The Bell Center! This is wonderful news for us, we are grateful that there are so many services available to her!

Yesterday I met a group of people who have shown amazing generosity and kindness to my family although we had never met. I am in awe at how a situation that is so devastating can bring about the best in people. Everyone that I met was very kind, but as I was on my way out the door a gentleman stopped me to let me know that I shouldn’t always take to heart what these doctors are telling me. This man was not given much hope at birth and the doctors told his parents many things that he would never do in life. He graduated college, holds a full time job and although he may be in a wheelchair, he is a sincerely compassionate man and has proven the doctors wrong. His words brought about more encouragement for me.

It’s funny how things will run through my mind and I realized yesterday that the only difference between these doctors and the rest of us is the amount of student loan debt that is accrued. They can rip my heart out and try to take away my hope for Addie, but they don’t know what the future holds. We will have to continue to pray every day, leave our Addie in God’s hands and “wait and see”.

Thank you for your prayers.

Celebrating Nine Years!

My sweet girl had a very busy day! We spent the day by having lunch at one of Addie's favorite restaurants, then I took her s...