A soap box moment

People can be thoughtless and cruel.
Saturday, we had a fun family day shopping for the kids. Addie and Julien were great sports about being bustled from one place to the next and we managed to get a lot accomplished. Overall I enjoyed the day, but complete strangers have a way of dampening my spirits. People can’t help but to stare or take a second glance at people with disabilities. Why? I’m not quite sure. Before Chris and I go in somewhere, we take a deep breath and have the unspoken dread of the comments that might come from people. I know how hurtful those long stares and second glances are. I spent all spring at the baseball field feeling people’s eyes on Addie and wishing the situation would just go away. We live in a really small town and I want people to be accepting of her and to realize how wonderful she is and that she has so much to offer. So, for the people who just don’t know what to say or do if presented with someone who you think is less than perfect (define that for me), I’ll tell you:
Be compassionate - realize that the families are going through complete HELL and are struggling each minute of every day to cope.
Don’t stare - please. If curiosity just manages to get the best of you, ask “THE QUESTION”, but be tactful. If you caught me at a moment where I could talk about it, I would try my best to answer your questions.
Instead of making the nasty-nice comments - find something great to say…”your baby has the most amazing smile or her blue eyes light up her face”. The best comment that I’ve heard came from an older man at the mall this weekend and all he said as he passed was, “now THAT is a cute baby”. Remember Oprah’s “Random Act of Kindness” hoopla? All it takes is a kind word to turn a bad day around.
Please find the good in people, especially those that have obvious struggles in life.
I truly believe in my heart that Addie will grow up to be an amazing woman and she will accomplish everything in life that the doctors say she never will.
Each day I hold the closest thing to heaven in my arms, and when I look in her eyes, I see perfection. I want everyone else to see that too; after all, she is GOD’s creation.

Celebrating Nine Years!

My sweet girl had a very busy day! We spent the day by having lunch at one of Addie's favorite restaurants, then I took her s...